Flood Infrastructure Fund (FIF)
Passed by the Legislature and approved by Texas voters through a constitutional amendment, the FIF program provides financial assistance in the form of loans and grants for flood control, flood mitigation, and drainage projects. The Flood Intended Use Plan (Flood IUP) details the structure of each funding cycle.
In addition to its administration of the FIF, the TWDB is working collaboratively with the Texas General Land Office and Texas Division of Emergency Management to assist communities in determining which of the available funding sources for flood-related projects is the best fit for them. The Flood Information Clearinghouse Committee (FLICC) represents an ongoing multi-agency effort to maximize the effective utilization of public funding resources and help communities identify the source they would like to pursue.
The current 2020 Flood IUP is closed, and additional projects are not being considered at this time. Please join the TWDB mailing list to be notified of further developments, including opportunities to apply.
- Board Adopted 2020 Flood Intended Use Plan (9/17/2020)
- Board Approved 2020 Structure of Financing and Terms of Subsidy (9/17/2020)
- Board Approved 2020 FIF Prioritization List and Eligible Funding Amounts (9/17/2020)
- 2020 Prioritization Scoring Detail (9/9/2020)
- Category 1 - Flood Protection Planning for Watersheds
- Category 2 - Planning, Acquisition, Design, Construction, Rehabilitation
- Category 3 - Federal Award Matching Funds
- Category 4 - Measures Immediately Effective in Protecting Life and Property
How to Apply
Visit the FIF Application and Pre-Application Webinars page for information on how to apply to the program. Currently, the FIF Program is only accepting applications from entities invited from the Board approved FIF Prioritization List.
- What activities are eligible for FIF assistance?
- Who is eligible to receive FIF assistance?
- What type of assistance is available?
- Are there requirements unique to FIF that existing TWDB customers should be aware of?
- How does the application and selection process work?
- How may I determine if other sources of flood mitigation financing are available?
- Where can I get more information?
- Flood Application FAQs
TWDB FIF-Related Guidance Materials
- TWDB-0511: Guidance for the Preparation of Flood Mitigation Project Design Documents (September 2020)
- TWDB-0554: Guidance for the Preparation of Flood Mitigation Project Engineering Feasibility Reports (Category 2 Only) (September 2020)
- TWDB-0104: FIF Program Guidance Manual (All Categories - Check back periodically for updates) (September 2021)
U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey (ACS) Data
- U.S. Census Bureau 2014-2018 ACS 5-year estimates and U.S. Census Bureau 2010-2014 ACS 5-year estimates
Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) Information
- Excel worksheet of current MSAs in Texas (October 2018)
- Map of the US showing current MSAs (September 2018)
Flood-Related Federal Funding Transparency Report
TWDB FIF-related Guidance Manuals
- TWDB-0511: Guidance for the Preparation of Flood Mitigation Project Design Documents
- TWDB-0554: Guidance for the Preparation of Flood Mitigation Project Engineering Feasibility Reports (category 2 only)
- TWDB-0104: FIF Program Guidance Manual (Check back periodically for updates)