Water Reuse Facts
- The regional water planning groups in Texas estimated that existing supply from water reuse is projected to produce about 714,000 acre-feet of water per year by 2070, constituting a 15 percent increase. The increase in reuse existing supply is primarily due to an increase in wastewater flows associated with an increasing population and the capacity of existing reuse facilities.
- Fifteen of the sixteen regional water planning groups (exceptions are regions P) have recommended water reuse as a water management strategy in the 2022 State Wfater Plan.
- Reuse will account for about 14.4 percent (1,106,000 acre-feet) of all new water supplies in 2070 if all reuse recommended water management strategies are fully implemented.
- Direct potable reuse: 62,000 acre-feet per year (0.8 % of all new water supplies)
- Indirect reuse: 739,000 acre-feet per year (9.6% of all new water supplies)
- Other direct reuse: 305,000 acre-feet per year (4.0 % of all new supplies)
NOTE: All information from summaries of 2022 State Water Plan.
- Water Reuse (899 KB)