Aquifer Storage and Recovery
Aquifer storage and recovery is the storage of water in a suitable aquifer through a well during times when water is available, and the recovery of water from the same aquifer during times when it is needed. Allocation of surface water for aquifer storage and recovery was authorized by the 74th Texas Legislature with House Bill 1989. In 2015, the 84th Texas Legislature passed House Bill 655 that amended the statute to make the permitting process more conducive to implementing aquifer storage and recovery projects.
Goals of Aquifer Storage and Recovery:
- Disseminate information through public education
- Consolidate and map all available study materials
- Facilitate the application of best practices among entities considering aquifer storage and recovery
2019 Meeting Announcements
- Underground Injection Control Conference, February 24-27, 2019, Forth Worth, Texas
- ASR for Texas! Seminar, May 1, 2019, Austin, Texas
- Texas Aquifer Conference, June 12 - 13, 2019, Austin, Texas
Recent TWDB Map
Recent TWDB Reports
The Technical Note 15-04 compiles historical activities, current facilities, recommended water management strategies and other potential activities related to aquifer storage and recovery in Texas.