Hill Country Trinity Aquifer: Structure and Brackish Groundwater
The goals of the study are to (1) map and characterize the brackish parts of the Hill Country Trinity Aquifer in greater detail using existing water well reports, geophysical well logs, and available aquifer data and (2) build datasets that can be used for groundwater exploration and replicable numerical groundwater models to estimate the volumes of groundwater in as many as five salinity classes.
The objectives of the study are to:
- collect, analyze, and interpret thousands of water well and geophysical well logs;
- map the geological boundaries of the Hill Country Trinity Aquifer;
- map the distribution of total dissolved solids in the aquifer;
- map the distribution of key chemical parameters of interest to desalination;
- map the water bearing lithologic units in the aquifer;
- estimate the volume of fresh and brackish water in the aquifers;
- incorporate all information into the publicly available database and GIS datasets;
- present study findings in a peer-reviewed TWDB report.
- Study Manager:
- Mark Robinson
- Approximate Study Start Date:
- April 2019
- Estimated Study Completion Date:
- Spring 2020
- The team anticipates that the publicly available data and report produced by this study will aid researchers and decision-makers in the selection or elimination of locations for site specific studies on groundwater desalination and aquifer storage and recovery. As stipulated by the 84th Texas Legislature in House Bill 30, it will also enable the process of evaluating the Hill Country Trinity Aquifer for the designation of brackish groundwater production zones.
Texas Water Development Board
1700 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
Mark Robinson, P.G.
This list is not yet available.
|Presentation on data collection efforts at the Groundwater Management Area 9 Meeting in Bee Cave, Texas||Monday, April 22, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.|
|Presentation on data collection efforts at the Groundwater Management Area 13 Meeting in Pleasanton, Texas||Friday, May 3, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.|
|Presentation on data collection efforts at the Plateau (Region J) Regional Water Planning Meeting in Leakey, Texas||May 15, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.|
|Presentation on data collection efforts at the Lower Colorado (Region K) Regional Water Planning Meeting in Austin, Texas||July 10, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.|
|Presentation on data collection efforts at the Groundwater Management Area 10 Meeting in San Antontio, Texas||December 2, 2019 at|
- The final report has not yet been produced.