Edwards-Trinity (Plateau) Aquifer: Structure and Brackish Groundwater
The goals of the study are to (1) map and characterize the brackish parts of the Edwards-Trinity Plateau Aquifer in greater detail using existing water well reports, geophysical well logs, and available aquifer data and (2) build datasets that can be used for groundwater exploration and replicable numerical groundwater models to estimate the volumes of groundwater in as many as five salinity classes. The study area includes all or parts of the following counties: Andrews, Bandera, Blanco, Brewster, Coke, Concho, Crane, Crockett, Culberson, Ector, Edwards, Gillespie, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Jeff Davis, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney, Martin, Mason, McCulloch, Menard, Midland, Mitchell, Nolan, Pecos, Reagan, Real, Reeves, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton, Taylor, Terrell, Tom Green, Upton, Uvalde, Val Verde, and Winkler.
The objectives of the study are to:
- collect, analyze, and interpret thousands of water well and geophysical well logs;
- map the geological boundaries of the Edwards-Trinity Plateau Aquifer;
- map the distribution of total dissolved solids in the aquifer;
- map the distribution of key chemical parameters of interest to desalination;
- map the water bearing lithologic units in the aquifer;
- estimate the volume of fresh and brackish water in the aquifers;
- incorporate all information into the publicly available database and GIS datasets;
- present study findings in a peer-reviewed TWDB report.
- Study Manager:
- Andrea Croskrey
- Study Team Members:
- Alysa Suydam
- Approximate Study Start Date:
- Spring 2017
- Estimated Study Completion Date:
- Winter 2020
- The team anticipates that the publicly available data and report produced by this study will aid researchers and decision-makers in the selection or elimination of locations for site specific studies on groundwater desalination and aquifer storage and recovery. As stipulated by the 84th Texas Legislature in House Bill 30, it will also enable the process of evaluating the Edwards-Trinity Plateau Aquifer for the designation of brackish groundwater production zones and submitting a report to the Texas Legislature by December 1, 2022.
Texas Water Development Board
1700 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
Andrea Croskrey, P.G.
This list is not yet available.
|Presentation at the Groundwater Managment Area 7 Joint Planning Meeting in Cleburne, Texas||March 23, 2017|
|Presentation to the South Central Texas Water Research Interest Group at the 8th Bi-Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas||June 23, 2017 at 10 a.m.|
|Stakeholder meeting held at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Center for Energy and Economic Diversification in Midland, Texas.||August 16, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.|
|Presentation on preliminary data collection efforts at the Groundwater Managment Area 7 Joint Planning Meeting in Fredericksburg, Texas.||October 19, 2017 at 10 a.m.|
|Presentation called Mapping Carbonate and Evaporite Brackish Aquifers in Texas at the 17th International Congress of Speleology in Sydney, Australia||July 24, 2017|
- The final report has not yet been produced.