Aquifer Storage and Recovery Report: Gulf Coast Aquifer Characterization for Southern Montgomery County, Texas
The goal of this study is to map and characterize the Gulf Coast Aquifer within the study area using existing water well reports, well cuttings from new nearby water supply wells, geophysical well logs, and available aquifer data. This study will support the aquifer storage and recovery (ASR) strategy of the San Jacinto River Authority (SJRA) and is a recommended water management strategy in the 2022 State Water Plan. This ASR project will be used to meet water supply needs in Montgomery County. Injected water will be sourced from surface water supply and stored within the Gulf Coast Aquifer for later recovery to meet demand.
The objectives of the study are to:
- collect, analyze, and interpret water well and geophysical well logs;
- incorporate data from SJRA water supply wells;
- interpret the stratigraphic framework, lithology, structure and hydrogeology of the study area;
- map the net sand distribution in the Gulf Coast Aquifer System;
- analyze the native groundwater quality of the Gulf Coast Aquifer including mapping the distribution of total dissolved solids;
- incorporate newly created information into the publicly available BRACS Database and study GIS datasets;
- prepare and publish study findings in a peer-reviewed TWDB report.
- fulfill the Texas Water Code §11.155 mandate to “conduct studies of aquifer storage and recovery projects and aquifer recharge projects identified in the state water plan or by interested persons”.
- Study Team Members:
- Daniel Collazo
- Study Start Date:
- April 2022
- Study Completion Date:
- Spring 2024
- This study will develop data and a report that will aid SJRA with the development of their proposed ASR project and will also be publicly available to researchers or other stakeholders interested in developing ASR projects.
Texas Water Development Board
1700 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
San Jacinto River Authority
1577 Dam Site Road
Conroe, TX 77304
|Meeting with SJRA, Microsoft Teams||April 27, 2022|
- April 27, 2022 - Project kickoff meeting
- The final report has not been published