Woodbine aquifer: Structure and Brackish Groundwater
The goals of the study are to (1) map and characterize the brackish parts of the major and minor aquifers of the study area in greater detail using existing water well reports, geophysical well logs, and available aquifer data and (2) build datasets that can be used for groundwater exploration and replicable numerical groundwater models to estimate the volumes of groundwater in as many as five salinity classes. The study area includes all or parts of Bowie, Cass, Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Falls, Fannin, Franklin, Freestone, Grayson, Henderson, Hill, Hopkins, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Lamar, Limestone, McLennan, Morris, Navarro, Rains, Red River, Rockwall, Tarrant, Titus, and Van Zandt counties.
The objectives of the study are to:
- collect, analyze, and interpret thousands of water well and geophysical well logs;
- map the geological boundaries of the Woodbine aquifer and the bounding aquitards: M;
- map the distribution of total dissolved solids in the aquifer;
- map the distribution of key chemical parameters of interest to desalination;
- map the net sand distribution in the aquifer;
- estimate the volume of fresh and brackish water in the aquifer;
- incorporate newly created information into the publicly available BRACS Database and study GIS datasets;
- prepare and publish study findings in a peer-reviewed TWDB report.
- Study Team Members:
- Mark Robinson
- Study Start Date:
- Spring 2022
- Study Completion Date:
- Winter 2023
- The team anticipates that the publicly available data and report produced by this study will aid researchers and decision-makers in the selection or elimination of locations for site specific studies on groundwater desalination and aquifer storage and recovery. As stipulated by the 84th Texas Legislature in House Bill 30, it will also enable the process of evaluating the Woodbine aquifer for the designation of brackish groundwater production zones.
Texas Water Development Board
1700 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
Mark Robinson, P.G.
No stakeholders are engaged yet.
|Stakeholder Meeting, GMA 8, Prairielands GCD, Cleburne, Texas||July 26, 2022|
- The final report is not yet available.