O. C. Fisher Lake (Colorado River Basin)
O. C. Fisher Lake (also known as O.C. Fisher Reservoir, formerly known as San Angelo Lake) is located at the northwestern outskirts of San Angelo in Tom Green County, on North Concho River, a tributary of Concho River which is a tributary of the Colorado River. The lake is owned by United State of America and operated by U S Army Corps of Engineers for flood control, water supply and recreational purposes. Originally named San Angelo Lake, the reservoir was renamed in 1975 for local U.S. Congressman O.C. Fisher, to honor his 23 years of service in the United States Congress. Construction was authorized under the flood control acts of August 18, 1941, and December 22, 1944. With the financial support of the Upper Colorado River Authority, construction on the dam to form the reservoir began by the United States Army Corps of Engineers in May 1947. Closure was completed on March 7, 1951 and deliberate impoundment of water began on February 1, 1952. The dam is rolled-earthfill embankment of 40,885 feet long with a maximum height of 128 feet. The top of the dam is at elevation, 1,964 feet above mean sea level. Maximum design water surface may reach to 1,958 feet above mean sea level. The uncontrolled spillway is located to the right of the dam and is a concrete-gravity ogee weir of 1,150 feet in length with a crest at elevation of 1,938.5 feet above mean sea level. According to data dated August 2003 from the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), at this elevation where the top of the flood control pool is defined, the lake has a total storage capacity of 392,717 acre-feet encompassing a surface area of 12,697 acres. At conservation pool elevation of 1,908 feet above mean sea level, the lake has a storage capacity of 115,743 acre-feet encompassing a surface area of 5,400 acres . The drainage area above the dam is about 1,488 square miles.