Water Loss Audit Resources
TWDB staff is available to work with utility managers in providing on-site water audit assistance. TWDB staff is able to perform consultant type work and review the water audit worksheet with utility managers so they may have an understanding on how the water audit benefits the utility.
TWDB loans acoustical leak detection and ultrasonic flow meter testing equipment to help assist utilities identify leaks and determine flow rates. For more information and to borrow this equipment, please go here.
Water Loss Audit and Leak Detection Workshops
The Texas Water Development Board's Water Loss Audit and Leak Detection Workshops are available to retail public water suppliers across Texas. The workshops provide water suppliers the opportunity to learn about how water loss audits can help them implement effective water loss control programs, how to use TWDBs online data collection system to submit audits and how to successfully account for water use and loss. Also included in the workshop is a hands-on session working on a water loss audit and an introduction to TWDBs leak detection equipment loan program. The workshops are approved for 4 hours of continuing education credits for licensed water operators through the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Note: Workshop attendance also satisfies the legislative requirement under HB1573 requiring water loss auditor training prior to submittal of a water loss audit to the Texas Water Development Board.
Water Loss Audit and Leak Detection Workshops scheduled for 2018:
- 1/24/2018, Georgetown TX, 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 1/29/2018, Weslaco, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 2/2/2018, San Antonio, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 2/7/2018, Lumberton, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Beaumont area)
- 2/8/2018, Friendswood, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Southeast Houston area)
- 2/14/2018, Houston, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (North Harris County RWA)
- 2/15/2018, Katy, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (West Houston area)
- 2/26/2018, Abilene, TX 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- 2/27/2018, Big Spring, TX 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- 3/8/2018, Corpus Christi, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 3/19/2018, Wylie, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- 3/20/2018, Fort Worth, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. CLOSED
- 3/21/2018, Lewisville, TX 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. CLOSED
- 3/27/2018, Lubbock, TX, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 3/28/2018, Amarillo, TX, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 4/4/2018, Fort Worth, TX, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 4/10/2018, Mount Pleasant, TX, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 4/11/2018, Nacogdoches, TX 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- TBD - Waco, TX
Contact Daniel Rice at Daniel.Rice@twdb.texas.gov or 512-463-0987 to attend a workshop.
Currently, all retail public water systems with more than 3,300 connections or a financial obligation to TWDB are required to complete and submit a Water Loss Audit annually. All other retail public water suppliers are required to submit a Water Loss Audit to the agency every five years. The next five-year deadline to submit an audit is for the 2020 reporting year, due May 1st, 2021.
A water supplier may request a workshop at any time, however, TWDB staff requires a minimum of 10 participants and a meeting place with appropriate facilities to support the workshop. The participants may come entirely from within the water supplier's organization or from other interested water suppliers.
- Troublshooting for Negative Water Loss Components
- Water Loss Audit Worksheet Instructions
- Guidance for Assessment Scale
- Assessment Scale Table
- Guidelines for Setting a Target Infrastructure Leakage Index (ILI)
- Water Loss Audit Manual for Texas Utilities (Updated March 2008)
- Main line Loss Calculator
- Monthly Water Loss Report
- Leak Detection Equipment Loan Form
- Ultrasonic Flow Meter Equipment Loan Form
For further information or questions, please contact conservation staff.