Welcome New RWPG Members
Welcome to the regional water planning process! Referenced below are sources of information that may assist you as you familiarize yourself with the history of water planning in Texas and planning efforts in your region. If you need additional information, please contact the project manager for your regional water planning group.
Regional Water Planning Process
In 1997, the Texas Legislature established a new water planning process, based on a "bottom-up", consensus-driven approach. Coordinating this water planning process are 16 regional planning groups, each producing a Regional Water Plan every five years. For more generalized information on the Regional Water Planning Process, the following summary from the TWDB may be helpful: Regional Water Planning In Texas.
The most recent set of regional water plans were approved by the TWDB by January 2016. The process of developing the 2021 Regional Water Plans began in the Fall of 2015, the current Fifth Cycle.
- Board Approved 2016 Regional Water Plans (RWPs)
- Fifth Cycle of Regional Water Planning (2017-2021) - Information related to the current round of the regional water planning process.
- Regional Water Planning Homepage - The primary TWDB website for what's new in regional water planning, including general planning information, new issues in Water Use, Projections, & Planning, contact information for the various planning groups, meeting updates, etc.
- Planning Group Members and Contacts
- List of Counties Within Each Regional Planning Area
Regional Water Planning Area Maps
State Water Planning Process
Once the regional planning group adopts its regional water plan, the plan is sent to the TWDB for approval. The TWDB then compiles information from each of the approved regional water plans and other sources to develop the state water plan.
- 2017 State Water Plan
2016 Regional Water Plan Summaries
- Previous State Water Plans
- TWDB Program Information Sheets - Additional information, such as background on our Board members, mission of our agency, and services provided by the TWDB.
- Regional Water Planning Rules & Statutes - TWDB's adopted Administrative Rules outline the required elements and procedures for the regional and state planning processes. Specifically, Chapters 355, 356, 357, and 358 of Title 31 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC) are applicable to these water planning processes.
Documents for Previous Planning Cycles
Regional Water Planning Group Interactive Map
To view a region of interest, please click within that region's boundary on the interactive map below or the region's name in the adjacent list.
- Region A Panhandle
- Region B
- Region C
- Region D North East Texas
- Region E Far West Texas
- Region F
- Region G Brazos
- Region H
- Region I East Texas
- Region J Plateau
- Region K Lower Colorado
- Region L South Central Texas
- Region M Rio Grande
- Region N Coastal Bend
- Region O Llano Estacado
- Region P Lavaca