TWDB Employee Benefits
There are many benefits to working for the State of Texas and with the Texas Water Development Board. The State of Texas offers employees competitive salaries, career advancement, health and dental insurance, and paid vacation and sick leave. Click on the links below to learn more about these benefits.
Employee Benefits Information
- ERS Benefits Total Compensation Package
- ERS Benefits
- FY22 Benefit Guide
- PY22 Insurance Premium Rates
- PY22 Health Plan Comparison Chart
- PY22 Dental Plan Comparison Chart
- PY22 Vision Plan Comparison Chart
- State Employee Benefits as a Percentage of Total Compensation
- PY23 Insurance Premium Rates
- PY23 Health Plan Comparison Chart
- PY23 Dental Plan Comparison Chart
- PY23 Vision Plan Comparison Chart
The state pays 100% for a full time employee's health coverage and one half the premiums for part-time employees. Dependent coverage is also available and the state pays part of the premium. Full-time employees are automatically enrolled in health coverage which starts on the first day of the month after your 60th day of employment. If you are a direct transfer from another state of Texas agency (without a break in service) you will have no waiting period for health coverage.
- HealthSelect - the self-funded insurance plan, available to employees, retirees and their dependents that are eligible to participate in the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) health plan.
- HealthSelect/OptumRx - Prescription Drug Program
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect - is a high-deductible health plan with higher out-of-pocket costs for health services and prescriptions.
There is no waiting period to enroll in this coverage.
- State of Texas Dental Choice Plan – Delta Dental The State of Texas Dental Choice preferred provider organization (PPO) plan is administered by Delta Dental.This plan focuses on prevention and early diagnosis and treatment to help you stay healthy. You save money when you use an in-network dentist. You and your covered dependents are not required to use the same dentist.
- DeltaCare USA DHMO Your dental health maintenance organization (DHMO) plan option is provided through DeltaCare USA. This plan focuses on oral health and preventive care. Before you enroll, make sure there is a DHMO network dentist in your area. You and your covered dependents are not required to select the same primary care dentist.
- State of Texas Vision - There is no waiting period to enroll in this coverage. Save money on eye exams and eyewear for you and your family with a small monthly premium and low co-pays.
- Minnesota Life - There is no waiting period to enroll in this coverage. You can participate in both Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance for yourself and your dependents.
- TexFlex (medical and daycare) - Pre-taxed money to use for health care and dependent care.
Short Term/Long Term Disability:
- Texas Income Protection Plan - offers short-term and long-term disability coverage that protects your income by paying a percentage of your paycheck if you become disabled and can’t work because you are ill, injured, or pregnant.
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment:
- Voluntary AD&D - This benefit provides additional protection for you and your family in the event of accidental death or certain accidental injuries.
- Retirement Program - State employees are required to participate in the retirement program. The employee contributes 9.5% of their gross salary to the retirement program, and the state contributes an equal amount. The contributions are combined when the employee retires.
- Texa$aver - Supplemental retirement plans are also available through a Deferred Compensation Plan (457) and Texa$aver (401K) as well as a Roth option for both plans.
- Sick Leave - Full time employees earn 8 hours a month (96 hours each year) of sick leave. Available sick leave will not expire. Eligible employees can also apply for extended sick leave and leave from the Sick Leave Pool for long-term illness or injury.
- Vacation Leave - TWDB employees accrue annual (or vacation) leave each month based on state tenure. Full time employees earn a minimum of 96 hours a year of annual leave.
- Flexible Work Hours/ Compressed Work Weeks - With supervisory approval you have the option of working a schedule that best fits your lifestyle.
- State Holidays - Employees are entitled to a paid day off from work on a national, state, and skeleton crew holiday that the State observes.
- Compensatory Time – Employees who work more than their scheduled hours in a work week can earn compensatory time off to use later.
Wellness Initiatives/Leave - The Texas Water Development Board's Wellness Program is a voluntary program that offers various wellness related activities to employees. The program focuses on providing resources for stress management, physical fitness, weight loss, nutritious eating, preventive screenings, tobacco cessation and general healthy living.
In addition, employees can:
- earn 8 hours of Wellness Leave for getting a physical exam once a year; and
- take up to 30 minutes a day, three times a week with supervisory approval for pre-scheduled exercise activities during normal working hours without the requirement of making up that time.
- Longevity Pay - As employment service continues, an employee's annual leave accrual increases and the employee may also be eligible for longevity pay. Longevity pay increases every 2 years.
- Texas Legal - An employee-paid legal insurance program that protects you from outrageous legal costs and saves you money.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Confidential service to deal with life stresses at no cost to employees and their families.
- State of Texas Child Care Program and the Capitol Complex Child Care Center – was established by the Texas Legislature to serve State of Texas employees of all income levels and ensure access to quality childcare services.
- Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
For more information, contact the Texas Water Development Board, Human Resources office by calling (512) 475-2142 or emailing email@example.com.