North Lake (Trinity River Basin)
North Lake is located about two miles southeast of Coppell in northwest Dallas County, on the South Fork of Grapevine Creek, a tributary of the Trinity River. The dam was operated by the Dallas Power and Light Company as a cooling reservoir for an electric generating plant and for recreational purpose. Construction on North Lake Dam began in 1956 and the dam was complete in August 1957. North Lake has an embankment dam, a compacted earth-fill structure with a spillway elevation of 510 feet above mean sea level, which overflows to a chute spillway. In 1992 North Lake had a conservation storage capacity of 17,000 acre-feet and a conservation surface area of 800 acres. The drainage area above the dam was three square miles.