Hubert H. Moss Lake (Red River Basin)
Hubert H. Moss Lake is named in memory of Hubert H. Moss, a local school superintendent, chemistry instructor at Gainesville Newsome Dougherty High School and Gainesville Junior College, and avid outdoorsman who originated the movement for a city lake for future water needs. Moss initiated talks to advocate construction of this lake.
Hubert H. Moss Lake is located at the juncture of the north and south forks of Fish Creek, on Farm Road 1201 eleven miles northwest of Gainesville in north central Cooke County. Freese, Nichols and Endress provided planning and engineering services. The Gainesville city council awarded the contract for excavation and dam and spillway construction jointly to Buckner Construction Company of Jacksonville and Hoople Jordan Construction of Lufkin. Construction of Fish Creek Dam began in December 1964 and was completed in September 1966. Deliberate impoundment of water began in April 1965. The City of Gainesville owns the water rights to Hubert H. Moss Lake and associated Fish Creek Dam. All releases and other lake operations are the responsibility of the City of Gainesville. According to TWDB 1999 volumetric survey, the lake had a storage capacity of 24,155 acre-feet, encompassing a surface area of 1,140 acres, at its conservation pool elevation 715 feet above mean sea level. The dam controls a drainage area of approximately 69 square miles.