Lipan Aquifer: Structure and Brackish Groundwater
The goals of the study are to (1) map and characterize the brackish parts of the major and minor aquifers of the study area in greater detail using existing water well reports, geophysical well logs, and available aquifer data and (2) build datasets that can be used for groundwater exploration and replicable numerical groundwater flow models to estimate aquifer productivity.
The study area includes all or portions of the following counties: Coke, Concho, Irion, Runnels, Schleicher, Sterling, and Tom Green. This study area was selected because of the extreme drought and depleted water resources of the area.
The objectives of the study are to:
- collect, analyze, and interpret thousands of water well and geophysical well logs;
- map the geological boundaries of the Leona Formation and underlying Permian formations;
- map the distribution of total dissolved solids in the aquifers;
- map the distribution of key chemical parameters of interest to desalination;
- map the net sand distribution in the aquifers;
- estimate the volume of fresh and brackish water in the aquifers;
- incorporate all information into the publicly available BRACS Database and study GIS datasets;
- prepare and publish study findings in a peer-reviewed TWDB report.
- Study Team Members:
- Matt Webb and Mark Robinson
- Study Start Date:
- Summer 2015
- Study Completion Date:
- September 2017
- The team anticipates that the publicly available data and report produced by this study will aid researchers and decision-makers in the selection or elimination of locations for site specific studies on groundwater desalination and aquifer storage and recovery.
Texas Water Development Board
1700 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
Lipan-Kickapoo Water Conservation District
P.O. Box 67
Vancourt, TX 76955
Tom Green County Precinct 3
|Meeting with Lipan-Kickapoo Water Conservation District in Vancourt, Texas||April 9, 2015|
|Meeting with Angelo State University in San Angelo, Texas and Lipan-Kickapoo Water Conservation District in Vancourt, Texas||November 19, 2015|
|Presentation to various stakeholders at Tom Green County Commissioners Court in San Angelo, Texas||April 20, 2017|
|Presentation to the City of San Angelo Water Advisory Board at the McNeese Convention Center in San Angelo, Texas||May 24, 2017|
|Presentation to the South Central Texas Water Research Interest Group at the 8th Bi-Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas||June 2, 2017|
|Presentation at the West Texas Geological Society 2017 Fall Symposium in Midland, Texas
||September 26, 2017|