Lower San Antonio River Sub-Basin - Instream Flow Studies
The lower San Antonio River sub-basin (downstream of the City of San Antonio) is one of six priority river segments being studied by the Texas Instream Flow Program. This study is being completed in cooperation with the San Antonio River Authority. Additional resources provided by the San Antonio River Authority allowed the study area to be expanded beyond the mainstem of the lower San Antonio River to include the lower portion of Cibolo Creek as well.
The following work products related to this sub-basin have been completed:
- Study Design (March 2012) Final Version
- Interim Progress Report and Instream Flow Recommendations
In addition, the following intermediate products have been produced:
- Draft Study Design (June 2009) Version submitted for stakeholder review
- Written comments received from stakeholders
- Revised Draft Study Design (November 2009) Version submitted for scientific peer review
- Scientific Peer Review Comments Reviews
The TIFP held update meetings for the public and stakeholders on July 22 and 23, 2008 in Karnes City and Goliad. These meetings provided an overview of the TIFP and completed and ongoing research related to the river. Those in attendance were given an opportunity to list what they value about the San Antonio River and ask questions. Further opportunities for members of the public to collaborate on the instream flow study of the Lower San Antonio River were also described.
- Public Meeting Agenda (July 22 & 23, 2008)
- Values about the San Antonio from breakout sessions (July 22 & 23, 2008)
Study Design Workgroup Meetings
A series of workgroup meetings were conducted in 2008 and 2009 in order to develop the study design for an instream flow study of the Lower San Antonio sub-basin. The workgroup was composed of members of the public, stakeholders, and agency staff who agreed to work together. Meetings were open to the public. Results of those meetings are provided below.
1st Workgroup Meeting
The first workgroup meeting related to development of an instream flow study design for the Lower San Antonio river was held September 9, 2008 in Floresville, TX. The workgroup developed the following goal: "The goal for the Lower San Antonio River system is a naturally functioning and sustainable ecosystem that supports a balance of ecological benefits and economic, recreational and educational uses."
2nd Workgroup Meeting
The second workgroup meeting related to development of an instream flow study design for the Lower San Anonio river was held October 21, 2008 in Floresville, TX. This workgroup meeting focused on development of objectives necessary to accomplish the goal developed in the first workgroup meeting.
3rd Workgroup Meeting
The third workgroup meeting related to development of an instream flow study design for the Lower San Antonio River was held December 9, 2008 in Floresville, TX. This workgroup meeting focused on development of indicators necessary to accomplish the goal and objectives developed in previous meetings.
- 3rd Workgroup Meeting Agenda
- Introduction to Indicators
- Biology Handout / Biology Presentation
- Hydrology Handout / Hydrology Presentation
- Water Quality Handout / Water Quality Presentation
- Geomorphology Handout / Geomorphology Presentation
- Connectivity Handout / Connectivity Presentation
- 3rd Workgroup Meeting Notes
4th Workgroup Meeting
The fourth workgroup meeting related to development of an instream flow study design for the Lower San Antonio River was held June 30, 2009 in Floresville, TX. This workgroup meeting focused on review and comment related to the draft study design developed by TIFP based on the goal, objectives, and indicators developed during previous meetings. The draft study design was revised in response to comments from the workgroup and is now undergoing scientific peer review.